Saturday, April 30, 2011

Down Time

So, when I'm not busy teaching or preparing for English class, I like to sit in on other classes with my students. My favorites are music, art, home making, and science because they don't require a whole lot of Japanese knowledge to follow.



At first I was reluctant to join these classes, feeling like I might be imposing on another teacher's lesson or distracting the kids. I still feel this is an issue with some subjects at the junior high, but most teachers are happy to have me join in. PE classes at elementary school are especially fun. Warm ups usually involve a game like tag to get the kids moving around in a fun way. I think having another adult to play with the kids gives the teachers a bit of a break.

Elementary science classes in Japan are nothing like I remember from my school. The kids get to run fun experiments with open flames (see above) and breadboards, which I don't remember seeing until high school. Most of these classes are interactive and when I join, I get a chance to participate as well. It's pretty great.


Junior high home making and wood shop classes are a great way to see the kids' creativity. I wish I could join in on some of their projects, but even though I visit the school every day, I'm not there often enough to join consecutive classes. Plus, there's always the possibility that I'll be busy with a class.

There have been a few days where I've spent more time with my kids outside of English class than teaching. As much as I enjoy teaching, I feel it's equally important to spend this extra time with my students. It helps get them comfortable around me and, I hope, projects a good image of foreigners.

No comments:

Post a Comment