Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Children's Games: Janken Variant

For a good thirty minutes of tonight's kendo practice, I didn't actually practice kendo. Instead, me and the two girls who had showed up played a variation of janken, or rock, paper, scissors. I'd seen them play it before, but hadn't payed close enough attention to the specifics. Basically, the winner of any given game gets to advance a certain number of steps based on what they won with. Winning with paper gets you パ-イ-ナ-ツ-プ-ル (pa-i-na-tsu-pu-ru) or six steps. Scissors is チ-ヨ-コ-レ-イ-ト (chi-yo-ko-re-i-to), another six steps. Finally, rock is グ-リ-コ (gu-ri-ko) which means only three steps. The goal, for us anyway, was to be the first to make it across the dojo and back again. I realized pretty early on that the respective words began with the same sound as the object that won. For example, rock is "gu", hence the reason that every game of janken starts with 最初はぐ literally "first is rock". It took me much longer to realize we were spelling the words pineapple, chocolate, and Glico, the Japanese chocolate company. It was a strange but very amusing game that I thought I'd share it with everyone.

1 comment:

  1. That looks funny. I'm going to play it with my friends.

    ReplyDelete