Monday, February 6, 2012

Origami A Day 1: Triceratops


I've been on a dinosaur kick recently, having just finished the two models I need to recreate one of my favorite scenes from Firefly.


So today, I thought I'd continue with the triceratops pattern I found here. I used a blue sheet of 15x15cm Suisai Origami paper. This triceratops pattern is fairly advanced, but it didn't give me near as much trouble as the t-rex. It is entirely possible to finish as directed at this size.

The diagram instructions were very nicely detailed and well illustrated, making the more difficult folds easy to follow. My only complaint would be the 2/3 fold on step six, as you just have to eyeball it and hope for the best. I was a bit nervous about the thickness of the layers by step 13, but they mostly worked out okay. I also had a bit of trouble when it came to folding the head up in step 50, but this was because of an incorrect fold I made in the step before. All in all, it took me about two hours to fold this model.


I'm pretty happy with the result overall. It certainly looks like a triceratops and I doubt the average person would notice the minor flaws that I am more than willing to expound upon.


I fudged a bit on the horns and I think the frill is a bit larger than it's meant to be. I just could not find a way to make rabbit-ear folds at this size. Still, the face is instantly recognizable, so I'm happy with it.


Look at his awesome feet! If there is one ridiculous thing that gets me easily excited about my models, it's when I can pull off decent looking feet at tiny sizes. I'm quite happy with these. However, due to some imprecise folds early on, one foot did end up a bit...off. I was able to make it work, but it seems like one side of my models always ends up looking better than the other.


Yay! there all one big happy family. Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of Dinosaurios de Papel and make me an ankylosaurus...

No comments:

Post a Comment