Saturday, February 11, 2012

Origami A Day 6: Cerberus

Today's model comes from the pages of Dragon, Witch and Other Fantasy Creatures Origami. This is a pretty cool book if you're familiar with origami and fairly confident with your folding. It's meant for those with some experience and the latter half of the book is filled with some very impressive, and very difficult, models. I used a piece of red 8 inch Fold'ems paper for this build.

The instructions are minimal, but clear. All the folds are explained in the preface to the book and it's generally expected that the reader is familiar with the standard notation given to folds in most books. Still there are places where I would have appreciated some commentary on the folds, having to deduce what is expected a few times through trial and error. I'd rank the model as advanced. Folding time was a little over an hour from start to finish.


I have yet to get this model just right. I can never seem to fold the heads correctly and always end up with earless dogs. This one faired a bit better than my previous attempt, but the model isn't without some serious flaws.



The front of the model is very thick, so much so that it pushes out the front legs. I'd press it in a book, but I'm not sure if it would help too much and I'm afraid of messing up the heads.


I also don't care for the pointed legs, and had a lot of trouble getting the front ones folded correctly. There actually wrong in the picture above, but I fixed them after comparing this model to my smaller one.


I had tried to fold this with a 15cm square about a week ago. Though I was able to finish, I had to sacrifice a lot of detail to do so. The heads in particular came out much nicer in the larger model, as I was actually able to get them shaped properly (minus ears). The back legs and body were also a bit better, although I like the tail on the smaller version better.


Despite my complaints, I still like this model. It's rare to find diagrams for this particular creature and it's not as difficult as I imagined it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment