Monday, February 6, 2012

Origami A Day: Introduction


I’ve been interested in origami (the Japanese art of paper folding) for a long time. As far back as middle school, I was folding simple patterns like the traditional crane and jumping frog. I briefly joined an origami club during my last year as a college student and had the opportunity to fold a bit during my stay in Japan as well, usually as a way to connect with the students or decorate my English board. Most of the kids were pretty impressed and I even had a few teachers marveling at some of my more complicated models.



One of my school secretaries, in turn, showed me her kirigami, which is the art of paper cutting.



Recently, I’ve been pursuing this hobby a bit more seriously than I have in the past. As a way to share my creations with others, I thought it would be fun to try for one origami pattern a day and see how long I could keep at it.



I would place myself as an intermediate to upper-intermediate folder. I’m familiar with the terms found in a typical origami book and have made several complicated models, with varying degrees of success. I am not acquainted, as some are, with the mathematics behind folding nor am I able to conceptualize my own models. As such, the models I fold will run the gamut of my abilities. It all depends on what I'm in the mood to fold that day.



Each entry in this series will include the following information:


Model Name (probably in the title)

The type of paper I’m using

A link to the diagram or citation of the book I found it in

A difficulty ranking

My thoughts about the folding of the model

Pictures of my completed model

My thoughts about the outcome

Other trivia I find interesting


I look forward to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment