Thursday, February 9, 2012

Origami A Day 4: Running Baby Squirrel


Today's model comes from the pages of Origami Zenshuu, a collection of easier origami diagrams for kids in Japan. It was folded from yet another 15x15 cm square of Suisai origami paper. I may redo this one later at a smaller size due to its ease and the fact that my squirrel is huge compared to my other models.

The diagram was pretty detailed and included notes for every step (in Japanese), so there were no problems with folding. It's clear this book was meant for beginners and it's nice that everything is explained so thoroughly. The hardest step was probably when you had to pull up the layers to form the head, but everything squashed easily. It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish.


It's cute, if a little simple. Not sure of someone would look at this and instantly think squirrel. Color probably also plays a part in this, as I hadn't found my solid colored paper and opted for orange, which was the closest I felt would work.


I don't like drawing on my models, but I may make an exception with this one. The face is just too plain.


I like making models that move in some fashion. It's why I still enjoy making hopping frogs and flapping birds. Thanks to the fold in the tail, the running squirrel will fly forward a short distance if you quickly tap it.


Pretty fun overall. Definitely recommended if you can find the diagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment