Sunday, February 12, 2012

Origami A Day 7: Heart Pochi Pouch

In honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd do a few heart shaped models over the next few days. Today's comes from the pages of おりがみ辞典 (Origami Jiten). At over 300 pages, this book is a great resource for classic and simple origami patterns.  I used a piece of red 5 7/8 inch square Fold'ems paper.

Origami Jiten is filled with simple diagrams meant for kids, so the folding was never difficult or confusing. This model does require a number of what I'd call imprecise folds, folds that don't have fixed points on the paper, but rely more on how the model looks at the time. These types of instructions always make me  a little worried that the model won't turn out right if I move a crease too far. It took me about 10 minutes to fold.


The end result is quite elegant for a ten step pattern. Pochi in Japanese is the sound a button makes when it's pressed, and the design fares pretty well in separating the heart from the rest of the model so it resembles a button.


The pouch is located behind the heart. I imagine a piece of chocolate would fit quite nicely inside.


Though not explicitly stated in the instructions, the back flaps fold into one another quite nicely, holding the model in shape.


I know I said I didn't like writing on my models, but I'll make another exception to deliver this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment