Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Origami A Day 3: Fox


Today's fox diagram can be found here. This site seems like a pretty good place for those wanting to start folding. Though the site lists this model as hard, I'd place it as intermediate if you've got some folding experience. I'm once again using my 15x15 cm Suisai paper.

As I said, folding this model wasn't too difficult, though I think the diagram is vague on some points. It doesn't offer any indication on when folds need to be duplicated, offers no commentary to help explain the folds, and indicates folds that don't exist on at least one occasion. Step 29 shows a layer or fold that vanishes in the next step. A few of my layers also ended up wider than what was illustrated. These issues held me up a little bit, resulting in about an hour folding time. Still...


If you follow the instructions keeping these things in mind, it turns out alright in the end. Much like yesterday's unicorn, I like the simple design. It's not quite as cartoony, but it's still very cute. I think the big head helps.


I don't know if it's instantly recognizable as a fox, as it could easily be confused for a cat or maybe even a dog (if you squint just right). I'm also not sure how I feel about the head being 3D when the rest of the model is relatively flat. On the plus side, it gives the model a bit of character, but it's a bit difficult to keep the head down, in shape, and the colored bits hidden all at once.


And hey, it stands without any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment