Friday, February 24, 2012

Origami A Day 13: Shred Beetle K-Type

Today, I folded an antagonist for yesterday's Orirobo 117. The villains of this book are known as Shreds, and they come in three different varieties: dinosaur, robot, and bug. I used a slightly lighter shade of orange 6 7/8 inch Fold'Ems paper to make it. Folding time was around two hours.

I have a bit of a history with this model, as it is the only one from this book that I have given up on folding before. Maybe that's why I chose to try it again, in the hopes that my recent foldings had given me enough experience to get it done. Though I did ultimately finish the model, I nevertheless had difficulty with te exact same steps as last time, namely the folds that form the middle pair of legs. The book tries to illustrate what needs to be done here, but I'm at a total loss about exactly what it expects. Oh well...


Overall, the model came out alright. There are some balance issues with the pincers, but it nevertheless looks like an evil genetically engineered beetle, right?


I substituted simple valley folds for the upper pair of legs. I believe they are meant to be outside reverse folds, but it doesn't make much of a difference.


Here's a closeup of the better of the two middle legs. I think the thickness and strange pseudo-rabbit ear are what give me so much trouble with these.


It certainly looks menacing from this angle. Shred Beetle's signature move is the "Stag Crush". Also, he is apparently capable of flight.


Here he is alongside Shred Dino T-Type, which remains one of my favorite dinosaurian models. Shred Dino cannot fly.

NOW WE FIGHT!

"Stag Crush"

"Mach Boot"

"C'mon Shred Beetle, it's safe..."

"Arm Cutter Attack"

X-treme closeup!

Victory!

A new challenger...

Shred Dino approaches with caution.

In the face!

Double Kill!!

Guilon joins the fray.

Shred Beetle's hide is too thick.

Godzilla: KING OF MONSTERS!
Robots and monsters bring out my inner child.

No comments:

Post a Comment