Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Origami A Day 2: Unicorn


Today's unicorn diagram can be found here. I once again used a piece of 15x15 cm Suisai origami paper, choosing red for this model.

This particular unicorn pattern is one of the simpler ones I've attempted lately, having little success with the more advanced version found in Dragons, Witches, and other Fantasy Creatures Origami. If your familiar with reverse and rabbit ear folds, you should have no problem making this. I personally didn't bother with the rabbit ear folds on step 5, opting instead to just fold the flaps forward. The result was a little less crisp, but fits well with the simplified feel of the overall model. I had to refold the neck a few times due to some balance problems. It took me about 15 minutes to finish. I placed it in a book and set it at the bottom of a stack of other books to help flatten it overnight.


I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I enjoy the cartoony proportions and feel it's easily recognizable.


As I mentioned, I had to refold the head a few times. This is because there is so much weight in the head. Just looking at the diagram makes that apparent. At first, my model couldn't even stand on its own, toppling forward as soon as I removed my hand.


I fixed the problem by pushing the initial reverse fold of the neck back toward the body and making it a little steeper. This in turn pushed the entire head assembly further back and allowed the model to stand on it's own. Some other potential solutions to this problem include sweeping the front legs out to the sides for more stability or making the back leg shorter.


I really like this model. It's simple and fun. It's something I could see showing my students if I'd run across it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment